14-year-old boy tried as an adult for stabbing teenage girl 114 times
Aiden Fucci’s case has been transferred from juvenile court to adult court, prosecutor RJ Larizza said at a press conference on Thursday.
Fucci was initially charged with second degree murder, but did not have time to plead before his charges were revisited, the 7th Circuit prosecutor’s office told ABC News. Larizza said the decision was made to charge him as an adult given the brutality of the case.
Bailey was reported missing at the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office on May 9. Her family said she was last seen around midnight. A sprawling search was launched and at 6 p.m. his body was discovered in the immediate vicinity of a retention pond, according to the arrest report.
Fucci was identified as a suspect in the case and was arrested, the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office said in a May 11 press release.
“It does not give me any pleasure to accuse a 14 year old teenage boy as an adult of first degree murder. It was clear to us after watching what had happened that it was not only appropriate to charge the accused as an adult, but that was really the only charge we could make, ”Larizza said on Thursday.
He offered gruesome new details about his murder, noting that 114 stab wounds had been found on Bailey, citing the medical examiner’s report, and at least 49 of those wounds were to the hands, arms and head which were from defensive nature.
“She was fighting for life,” Larizza said. “To say it was horrible could probably be considered an understatement.”
Larizza added: “[Fucci] told witnesses that he was going to kill someone by taking him into the woods and stabbing him. The statement the accused made to his friends made it clear that he was considering homicide. “
Fucci’s alleged statements were never reported to police, Larizza noted.
Larizza said the knife Fucci carried during the brutal attack was found in a nearby pond. Its broken end was discovered in the young girl’s skull by the medical examiner.
He said investigators found Fucci’s DNA on Tristyn’s body and his DNA was found on the knife, on Fucci’s shoes and on a T-shirt in her bedroom.
“I just want to say that I hope parents learn something from this vicious and brutal murder. And it is that you have to know what your children are doing and what they are saying. While we may not be able to stop these vicious and brutal killings, we should at least try, ”Larizza said.
Fucci made his first court appearance on the new charges on Friday, appearing virtually via Zoom.
At the procedural hearing, Judge Howard M. Maltz briefed Fucci on his rights, the charges and the probable cause of his detention. He will remain in jail without bail, Maltz said. Fucci will be arrested “within the next week or two,” local ABC subsidiary WJXX reported.
He did not plead. ABC News has contacted Fucci’s defense attorney for comment.
The Bailey family also released a statement after Thursday’s announcement.
“We appreciate that today’s outcome is a direct result of the thorough and comprehensive work of the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office and the 7th District Attorney’s Office in the first steps to bring justice to the murder of Tristyn, “the statement read. with WJXX, said. “The care and love shown by people and businesses to uplift the memory of Tristyn and the determination of our community serve as a beacon of light in the darkness. As shared in the celebration of life on the battle of the two wolves , he helps us feed the good wolf, ”quoting an old Native American tale his father shared during his memorial service.
Copyright © 2021 ABC News Internet Ventures.